Monday, September 19, 2005

Jews and Japanese

Nora and I just ate dinner with a very upbeat and energetic Japanese girl. We exchanged the regular information, where we live, how long we’re here, etc. Part of our conversation:

Her: “Why did you want to come to China?”
Me: “Umm, the economy, I guess.”
“The economy?”
“Yeah, I want to make money here.”
“Ohhhh the economy! Are you Jewish?!”

Apparently Japanese people are very interested in Jews. She said they identify with our (when I say ‘our’ here, I’m talking about every Jew except for myself) work ethic. She asked what Jewish people thought of Japanese, but I couldn’t remember ever having a conversation about Japan in Sunday school, so I couldn’t give a good answer.



In other news, there’s a big picture of Niagara Falls hanging on the wall in the cafeteria. As if it’s some distant, exotic place. Ha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home